Are you a self-employed professional? Do you wish to apply for a Canada PR visa but are worried about being self-employed? No worries. Being self-employed does not create any hurdles in your immigration journey to Canada. You can still apply under several Canadian immigration streams and fulfill your Canadian dream. Some pathways require proof of self-employment. If you want to apply under a skilled worker stream, you can still show your self-employed experience based on the NOC code and the program eligibility you’ve applied for.
It’s worth noting that Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) accepts several forms of documents as proof of your self-employed experience. This includes articles of incorporation, documents of self-employment income, and third-party documents showing your services offered.
Benefits of PR visa in Canada
Here are some of the top benefits of immigrating to Canada:
- A Canadian PR visa gives you access to free education for your children.
- You can avail of a Universal Healthcare Scheme.
- Upon receiving permanent residency, you can apply for an SIN number to avail of social security benefits.
- You get the right to live and work anywhere in Canada.
- You can seek to sponsor your spouse/common-law partner and dependent children in Canada.
- You can also sponsor your parents under a Super Visa program.
- Canada is a vibrant country with a booming economy and a tremendous scope to grow your business.
Self-employed visa program requirements
- Minimum two years of experience in last five years
- Must be aged between 18 and 50 years
- No language requirements
- No minimum education requirements
- Score a minimum of 35 points out of 100
- Must show sufficient funds to demonstrate that you can support yourself and your family to settle in Canada.
- Applicant and accompanying family members must undergo a medical test and get police clearance certificates.
Are you ready to immigrate to Canada?
There are numerous options available for self-employed individuals aspiring to settle in Canada. They are described as follows:
Federal Self-Employed Persons Program
This immigration program is designed for individuals who have positioned themselves in arts, sports, and culture and will significantly contribute to Canada. To be eligible, the applicant must prove that they have the potential to get employed in Canada.
Compared to other business immigration streams requiring individuals to invest specific money to get a PR visa and claim scores in Canada PR points table, Canada’s self-employed program only requires applicants to submit proof of experience within their industry.
Quebec’s Self-Employed Worker Immigration Program
You can immigrate to Quebec as a self-employed individual and settle there permanently. To qualify for this program, an applicant must show net assets of at least CAD 100,000 and two years of experience as a self-employed professional in the field they wish to practice in Quebec.
Apart from this, they must also meet the following eligibility requirements:
- They must be genuinely committed to living in Quebec and generating jobs in their chosen profession.
- Have a minimum net assets of CAD 100,000 that have been legally secured.
- Have at least two years of work experience as a self-employed individual in the profession they want to practice in Quebec.
- Meet the minimum points’ criteria as determined for the program.
To live in Montreal, you must register a startup deposit of at least $50,000 at a local financial institution. Whereas applicants who wish to settle outside Montreal must deposit at least $25,000.
Moreover, candidate should also claim at least 99 points under the Quebec Economic Class Selection grid before applying. Applicants can get points for factors including education, professional experience, language skills (French or English), connections in Quebec, financial resources, etc.
Physician Self-Employed Pathway
Recently, the government of Canada made some significant changes to its immigration system by allowing physicians to move to Canada quickly. Earlier, physicians had difficulties migrating to Canada via the Express Entry system due to a “fee for service” model, which was considered outside the conventional employer-employee model.
Last year, IRCC made a significant announcement stating that physicians who worked in a fee-for-service model were exempted from current requirements, allowing them to apply for PR visa programs. Besides, temporarily, physicians already in Canada can apply for permanent residency through an express entry program. IRCC aims to welcome more physicians and healthcare workers due to an acute shortage of these professionals in Canada. Many Canada PNP latest draws targeted healthcare workers and doctors to apply for permanent residency.
To enter Canada as self-employed, you can apply for a temporary work permit and start practicing. After some time, you can use this work permit to apply for a family PR visa and permanently settle in Canada.
A self-employed work permit is a perfect choice for entrepreneurs who are working independently or are the sole owners of their business enterprise in Canada. The pathway does not require a labor market impact assessment report (LMIA) used by Canadian employers before hiring a foreign worker. All you need is demonstrate how your business will benefit the Canadian economy.
How can Abhinav help you?
We at Abhinav Immigration have helped thousands of professionals, students, families, and entrepreneurs achieve their dream of immigrating abroad. Our highly qualified, trained, and experienced agents are equipped with adequate knowledge and dedication to help you at every step and advise the best solutions to your immigration needs.
The following factors make us India’s best global relocation firm:
- Transparent, professional, and genuine services
- 29+years of experience
- Licensed immigration consultants
- Constant follow-ups through mails/calls/WhatsApp
- Easy and careful profile evaluation
- Online IELTS coaching
- High-quality resume and SOP writing services
- Assistance with value-added services
- Our team will prepare the application based on our client’s profile and comprehensive research.
For more information you can contact us at 8595338595 or [email protected].